I wanted to take minute to thank you all for being so understanding of the announcement in the previous post and I also wanted to address some questions that came up.
First though, I really, absolutely, honestly and completely appreciate the responses to the closing of the second chapter of Silly Girls. When Megan and I started doing this in a more organised way it wasn't actually the beginning of "Silly Girls", Megan had been doing it for years with her family and I had been doing it for years in the form of dressing up for themed youth dances with my friends. It was in 2008 that it was given a name, a mission statement, and a kind of structure. You can see all the photos from that period here.
I feel like everyone who has joined in since the beginning to the last year or so gets what we were originally doing - the purpose behind it etc. Newer people joining in are probably wondering why instead of passing the torch, so to speak I'm disbanding Silly Girls as they know it. For me, this isn't something that can be passed on. The way it's been organised up until now is the essence of me. It doesn't make sense to give that to someone else when we have the opportunity to embrace the evolution of the group and have fun with the ability to change. Or maybe it is just selfishness.
There are groups still planning on doing regular photo shoots, when I have time I'll even post and set a challenge for anyone who wants to join in. With graduating school and becoming pregnant I feel really rubbish for not joining in as much as I used to. This takes the pressure off of me too and hopefully will help me get my zest back to join in without beating myself up about disappearing for the last year.
Here is how I see Silly Girls continuing:
* Each active group can make their own facebook group to post their own images on. - I highly encourage this. You'll be able to chat with your group about ideas and post inspiration pictures on your own page in an organised way - with all of us in one group we can't really do that.
* You can choose your own themes or look to other groups and join in their themes - Network, inspire and create together. Also, if you are a professional photographer it could be more exposure for you to link your photography business page to your Silly Girls... just a thought.
* The Silly Girls United facebook page can still be used as a hub - you can post your links and announcements there and everyone following will still see you. I'll continue posting there too and will look forward to commenting on all the pictures posted in your groups. I'll "like" your page so it shows up on the Silly Girls United sidebar and everyone can follow you too...
* Say you go home for the holidays and decide to do a spur of the moment photo shoot with old friends (maybe something super simple like setting up a photobooth) - you can post those pictures any time you like in your own group AND encourage your friend to start her own (complete with facebook group?). Breaking up like this could help create more groups and we always love seeing new groups!
* You'll be admin of your own group and have more control over posting what you want, when you want under your own group name. You won't have to wait for me to make you admin etc.
I hope this all makes sense and everyone can still be excited about the SHEnanigans. It'll be a new year, a new start...